Sunday, March 8, 2009

spring ahead



The last week has been quite stressful for Emily. She lost a good friend to suicide on Monday, and was dreading having her bi-weekly call to her mom, which was last night. Actually, I'm not sure if dreading is the right word. She's usually ambivilent about it, and Bill will insist, to keep the peace.

She had a (seemingly) good conversation, but by ten p.m. she had a stomach ache that was getting worse every ten minutes, and by eleven she was vomiting. The stomach pain was enough that she couldn't lay down, sit up or stay still, and eventually she asked to go to the ER.

They went, but it was really cold and a blizzard was going on (as it is again today) so when it looked like it was going to be a three hour wait he brought her home again. She was sick a few more times and finally fell asleep.

Personally, I think the ulcer she had when she was three is still there, and sometimes it flares up. Spicy foods and stress seem to bring all this on, and I'd like to have an official diagnosis, but the test is so intrusive - it involves a stomach scope. I'm not sure what we're going to do. I guess we should take her to the family doctor, but maybe we'll ask her therapist about it first. She has an appointment on Wednesday.

Spring ahead for most of us! In Canada, Saskatchewan doesn't participate but the rest of us do. I really like having the extra hour of daylight because I think that many of us middle-aged Albertans have some kind of Seasonal Affective Disorder. Besides, life is so much easier if it's still light out when you get off work.

Because of the snow and winds, I highly doubt we'll be taking a trip out to the farm. I'm not sure what we'll do today, but I bet it'll include cleaning. And it's the perfect kind of day for stew and baking powder biscuits! Hope you're all warm and toasty today.

21 comments:

  1. that with Em has to be checked... it's not appendicitis? be careful and don't wait too long..

    Germany doesn't change the clock until the last weekend of March. Why can't they keep "summer" time all year round? Why does it have to get dark earlier in winter (when it does naturally anyway)? This half yearly changing is so stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorrie - Bill has extensive first aid training and was able to rule out many of those things.
    I'd be happy to keep the clocks this way all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had stomach problems much like Emily all of my life and it is what people may term "a nervous" stomach. Couple that with eating certain foods and I can become very sick. I had the scope done in November because of my ongoing reflux struggles and nothing new showed up. The scope really wasn't too bad and I opted to have it done without medication so I could work the rest of the day. Whatever it is...it is NOT much fun!

    loupylou

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for Emily losing a friend like that. Suicide is not something that survivors get over quickly. It's just not fair for anyone involved.

    Regarding stomach problems . . . has she tried the new yogurts to help digestion? A really super good one is called BIO-K sold in health-food stores. Fixes ALL SORTS of digestive problems.

    Otherwise -- charcoal can help. So can eating carob (if the bowels are involved).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Invasive or not, if she does have an ulcer that is not getting the right treatment, you could end up with far more than stomach aches and vomiting. I would sit down and have a chat with the G.P. just to be on the safe side.

    Oh, and I can't wait for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so sad she lost her friend. :-( Poor thing.


    Ulcers stink, I have one too. Dairy helps mine. Strange, but it does. I hope she feels better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a nervous stomach that occasionally doesn't like food in it at all, and I have had reflux, but not in a long while now.

    I would go with a GP's advice for stomach problems over a therapist's :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's 80 degrees out with all these promises of rain. Nothing nothing. Get Em checked out. Hope she's better fast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My state doesn't do daylight saving at all. It is a pain in the bum when the reast of the country does!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My wife doesn't have ulcers, but does have a condition which is set off by certain foods...corn being one of them. I can't remember the name of the condition, but the symptoms are very much the same as you describe.

    Suicide is always worse for those left behind. Very cowardly thing, many times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is VITAL this be properly checked out. If the bacteria are not properly cleared up there is a risk of developing stomach cancer later in life. It is so sad she needs to have this much stress. Thank heavens she has you and Bill. Maggs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Biscuits and stew, delightful. Me, I'm cleaning up the attic and boxing up things, making headway finally after months in inertia...

    I have an award for you on my blog, if you accept them...if not, just wanted you to know how much I enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. can relate to getting an upset stomach when stressed. usually it only happens if i'm dreading something.

    so, lemme ask you a question? do you stay awake at night in order to come up with these unusual (but interesting!)polls of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi kate, miss you! glad to be back!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. the death of a friend is always traumatic especially if it involved suicide. there's always that feeling of guilt, the nagging thought that we could have done something to prevent it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some info on ulcers:

    http://people.ku.edu/~jbrown/ulcer.html

    As a couple others have suggested, it is caused by bacteria. I wouldn't run out and get anti-biotics from a doctor, rather I'd take care of it by putting good bacteria in and taking some more natural anti-bacterial things such as silver, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kate, Hope Em is feeling better real soon. My daughter has stomach issues too. So I understand. Wishing her well...

    You've got a blizzard, we've got heavy rains. I'm so looking forward to May and everything that is GREEN!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh poor Em. That's awful. No child should have to deal with that. It's good that she's got yours and Bill's support.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Tuesday! I followed the links and found some very useful info.

    Teri - thank you!

    I appreciate everyone dropping by. Ramsey - I dunno - I am always looking for something that most people will answer because they can do it anonymously, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love daylight savings time!!!

    hooray.

    Hope Em feels better. It sounds like she is ill and you better take her to the doc...

    ReplyDelete
  21. so sorry to hear about Ems friend:( The flu is going around here really bad and I am just hoping and praying that me and Reece dont get it before we go on vacation!That would be so awful!

    We have already been feeling a little icky off and on.Its hot here today close to 80 degrees but its suppose to get cold again by the end of the week.I love daylight savings but it makes the time go by super fast!

    ReplyDelete