Saturday, March 21, 2009

saturday morning


bird houses, Inner Harbour, Victoria BC


Interviewing for this job is taking such a long time, and I am starting to become annoyed and impatient by the way it's being done. It began with an interview with the placement agency, then led to phone interview with Becky from Vancouver. Then I met with two women at a hotel here in my city, which led to this last interview in Calgary.

Nothing, yet.

They think I might have to travel again to either Calgary or Edmonton, which would cost me yet another $60 in fuel and another day off work, before they decide. This is after four out of six of their last group of candidates didn't show up at all.

Also, they were saying that there is no bonus structure, or incentive plan, which surprises me. As long as they pay industry standard I believe it would be okay, but I don't buy that just having the honour to work at such an exciting, innovative company would be enough!

Now that I'm left hanging for another week, it's become increasingly awkward trying to plan the demise of my insurance business - especially in regard to the resignation letter and the thank you cards. I was hoping to give them a solid date, but if I don't have a job offer, how can I do that?

It's frustrating. I might just have to meet with the agency manager and give him a heads up, then scramble to find something if this one doesn't work out.

The good news is, I have the day off in the clothing store. We didn't stay in Calgary last night, because even though it was lovely, it was located next to the crack park in that area. Way too many prostitutes and weirdos in the area to leave my truck on the street. We got home around 7:30 and went to bed by 9:00, and now we have the day to do whatever we like.

11 comments:

  1. The good thing is that all the time and energy being invested in you, probably means you are a shoe in for an offer. I went through 5 interviews and one whole day of testing (psychological and intelligence, and they still offered it to me, go figure). The whole process took a month.

    No bonus isn't surprising given the economy, but you may be able to negotiate a higher base wage as a result. I prefer guaranteed money against bonus/commission, even though it may not be as much in the long run.
    I wouldn't share your plans with your current employer until you have something solid. It may feel odd, but gone are the days of "loyalty" between employee and employer...unless you are contractually obligated.

    Crack park? I thought those had been taken over by the "Meth Park" years ago...

    Enjoy the day!

    KLM

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know about those periods of uncertainty and in waiting- you could just pull your hair out..in frustration and wish they would hurry..

    warm thoughts,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kona. The crack parks and the meth parks are in different areas. The meth park is where the "five and dime" hookers hang out, the crack park is near The Old Spagetti Factory is, lol.

    Thank you Silver!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interviews are frustrating and stressful not to mention time consuming. I'm sure you will do just fine and I hope it all goes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they sure are giving you the run-around. I hope for you it works out.
    I applied last July for a new job, received an email saying they received it and will notify me. I then waited 6 months before receiving an answer.... didn't even get an invite for an interview :-(
    I wonder if they had found my blog..... oooops ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think you're in the running for the job. probably in the top three on the list of candidates. just relax and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you've got a day off to compensate slightly for being mucked around. I hope a good solid offer does result but it's starting to sound a bit disorganised and who wants to work for a crowd that can't even organise their own interview process to work smoothly?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I'm not a very patient person when it comes to that sort of waiting, I applaud you that you're still hanging in there! Hopefully your frustrations will pay off.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would of been very annoyed by not and may well have been one of th four who backed out. Did they know something you didn't?

    A day of the normal is always god to recharge the batteries :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have my fingers and toes crossed for you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know how frustrating this is. I went through about five interviews before they offered me my job. You would've thought I was getting into the fbi or something!

    ReplyDelete