Friday, March 13, 2009

friday the 13th


I'm not particularly superstitious, but remember certain Friday the 13th incidents. In 1986 when I was working up in Red Earth Creek, it was bitterly cold (something like -50°C) and four people lost their lives. One man was run over by his truck while he was underneath trying to fix something, another man died by climbing up the derrick on his rig. Apparently the men wanted to stop work for the day because the cold made it dangerous, but their boss, the Driller, thought it was fine. Unfortunately he fell to his death trying to prove it. I can't recall how the other two perished, but believe it was related to the cold.

Here in Central Alberta it's 0°C and expected to get up to 7°C, which is like Spring for us. My only appointment has been rebooked for Monday so I'm not sure what I'm going to do today. I have a feeling much of it will be spent thinking about my next interview, what I'll be wearing and whether or not I should tan for a few minutes. Seriously, once you get to my age, you'll do anything to get an edge on your competition, lol.

Happy Friday!

16 comments:

  1. Friday the 13th is like any other day...
    usually. lol

    My daughter was born on a 13th so that's GOOD!

    We're having about the same, here. In fact, it's supposed to get as warm as 15° C tomorrow! yoohooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to you working in a different place. You can still sell insurance and not be captive Kate. I'll bet it will be more profitable and fulfilling for you.

    That freezing to death isn't going to happen here unless you fall in the water. You will go very quickly once that happens if you do not have a wetsuit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate -- I would bet no one could even guess your age - and they aren't supposed to ask in the interview.

    I have actually had some really good things happen to me on the 13th - -so I try not to focus on Friday the 13th.

    Sounds like you are getting the temps we had earlier this week. Now we are heading to warmer and wet -- wet I need my skin is drying up something awful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dorrie - 15° is beautiful! Enjoy.
    Thanks Bobby!
    Joanne - it is so dry! I need to buy an air humidifier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go for the tan and have a great relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, legally they are not allowed to ask you your age, race/ethnicity, relationship status or if you have kids. The idea is to promote less discriminatory practices. Still people can tell.

    The weather is about the same here and it's supposed to be something like 12 next week, which is spring. Early spring. Are you worried about a late April snowstorm that shuts down the city? I am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They can't ask, but I think it's obvious when you're 44! Well, I may look like I'm still in my 30's, but I am still WAY past my mid 20's (retail average age)

    ReplyDelete
  8. *knocking on wood* It's been a good Friday the 13th ... so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today's a great day! It's my little brother's birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to your bro, Liz!

    Been good here, too. Thanks Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's going to be a might 11 here this weekend, it's time for the shorts and sun cream.

    Not really into Friday 13th, as I usually find it just like any other day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If the media didn't make a big deal about it, I would not have noticed. The sad reality of life is that awful terrible and unfortunate things happen on the daily. As far of Friday the 13th, it's another day to me, & every day spent above ground is a Blessing.

    Have a wonder-filled weekend, my Friend.

    Snatch JOY!

    One.

    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a great weekend Kate. Our weather here is slowly deteriorating - for the first time in months I closed my bedroom windows last night to shut out the chill.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't worry about interviews, what will be will be, and good things are coming your way. I still have trouble getting my head around weather that cold. Here's hoping you stay toasty warm and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Friday night was spent watching zombie movies and talking about them. Nothing unusual about the day at all...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You really want a happy birthday? check out RockHard Weekend!!!
    www.hwplabs.com

    ReplyDelete