Wednesday, March 4, 2009

canadian lynx


photo borrowed from The Lioncrusher's Domain


Bill was three hours northwest of here near Edson, delivering an enviro bin for a service rig, when a lynx walked across the dirt road he was on. He slowed down, thinking it was a dog, then came to a complete stop when he realized it was a huge cat taking it's time! The kitty had long legs and no tail, with the trademark points at the tips of it's ears.

It sauntered across the road and sat on the slope of hill in the ditch, watching him. He was really freaked out because he has a fear of cougars.

I said, "holy crap! Why didn't you get a pic with your phone?!" and he replied, "I was gonna! But then he stood up and I realized my window was open and he could get me. Ack!" LOL.

I'm so jealous - I never get to spot wildlife anymore.

This morning I have an interview with a placement firm, for a Store Manager opening. They wouldn't disclose who their client was over the phone, so I'm not sure if it'll be something I'm interested in, or not. I suppose if it's a regular paycheque, I'll probably be interested! I just hope it's not a shit job.

Happy Humpday!

14 comments:

  1. Sometimes we will see a bobcat around the dismal swamp but that is pretty much it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful!
    Good luck with the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow face to face with a magnificent creature like that in the wild is mind blowing.

    We have no native land mammals at all here in NZ (except for a tiny bat) so it can never happen here. Stink!

    Hopefully the job is good for you and they offer it. I'll cross my fingers for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya'll no why they call 'em Lynx don't ya? Cuz they make good eatin'! Yepper, we're talkin' sausage baby! Breakfast sausage to be xact. Yum, yum, yummy!!

    That's y we Yanks carry firearms, so we can be ready for just such tar-gets of opportunity. Plus them claws make great tooth picks. Then you can sel the hide at flee market and make yerself a vew bucks. least enough to pay fer the ammo spent to kill that critter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one pretty kitty! Good luck with the interview and I hope its somewhere interesting and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One our way up to Michigan I'd seen this stray dog on the side of the road late at night. I felt bad for it and asked my husband to pull over so I could feed it and my husband said no way! Apparently it wasn't a dog, but a coyote! That's about it as far as seeing wildlife around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would have been a once in a life time moment. But understandable that there is no photo, moments like this happen very rarely and are gone just as quickly.

    Good luck with the job interview. You never know, it might be for somewhere fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah, good luck with the interview! store manager sounds more on the up and up. sounds better then "restaurant manager."

    ReplyDelete
  9. bill did the right thing. wild animals should be respected and treat them as such. although they may look cuddly, they can be unpredictable and dangerous. in the park where i usually hike, mountain lions exist but they're rarely seen. park rangers say they stay away from people. in the event there's an encounter, however, the suggestion is to make yourself look as big as you can be. supposedly that will scare the lions. it's also advised that you shouldn't look them in the eyes as it would be interpreted as challenging them into a fight. good luck on your job hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the interview!

    That must have been a beautiful sight. I am jealous too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing sight that must have been for Bill, too bad he couldn't enjoy it.

    I hope the job is good and they'd be crazy not to offer it to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The ears look so cool - our native dogs are called dingoes - and they look like mangy critters.

    Best wishes with the job - it is a shame that you can't get paid to be a professional blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We don't have virtually any wildlife here any more, everything dies out years ago, except the Loch Ness monster that is!

    The only thing you have any chance of seeing is either a dead hedgehog or rabbit dead at the side of the road these days!

    ReplyDelete