Monday, May 11, 2009

road trip


Bill and I drove to Wetaskiwin yesterday, to see one of my oldest friend's, Dale's Sensei from Winnipeg. To be honest, I wasn't sure if he would come with me - for awhile there, I thought he might get called into work, or not want to go.

But for a man that has married a widow, he's been great. I used to read about recoupled widow/ers having trouble with resentment and jealousy all the time. The "I just can't compete with a ghost" bs was one of my biggest worries. Thankfully, he doesn't do that.

He listens to me talk about Dale, although not as much as I used to - right now I'm still angry that the stress he caused has started messing with me physically. And maybe that is why Bill doesn't resent Dale very much. Dale made some HUGE mistakes during his short, tragic life and I have been left behind to deal with it all, and most of the time Bill feels empathy for me.

At any rate, we drove about an hour north of here to see his Sensei. We watched part of the class and then met them for a beer afterward, which was nice. Bill got to chat up the Two Dale's (two former students and good friends of Dale) Takanaka (the Sensei from Wetaskiwin) and Sensei's Smabey(from Iowa) and Marr (from Winnipeg) and we all laughed and joked around for an hour before we headed home.

It was the perfect way to spend Mother's Day.

7 comments:

  1. Bill sounds like such a great guy. He must be totally confident in your love of him that he is not threatened by your past life with Dale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're entitled to a past. He is wise and recognizes it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise man you have there. I am sure he is delighted you appreciate him. You deserve happiness. Maggs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a perfect Mother's Day. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice that Bill is so supportive. There's nothing worse than someone who is constantly jealous. I hope you had a great mother's day Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does sound like a pretty good Mothers' Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yup- happy to hear you had a relaxing and wonderful time out on Mother's Day.

    hey- dont worry too much abt that post request. I know how busy we can all get sometimes- it's good with me. ;)

    ReplyDelete