Friday, May 1, 2009

turning in the key


photo by Terry Clark


The last few days have been stressful and busy, with Jim's hip replacement surgery, Jamie's yard sale, and moving out of my office.

I put it off as long as I could, and finally, around ten p.m. last night, Bill and I went down there with a few boxes and a large suitcase. Ninety minutes later, the entire place was empty, save for the desk and the telephone. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it in an orderly fashion, but it went well.

I don't know how I feel giving up that office. There was a time, well before the economic crisis, that I was planning on moving over and taking one with a window. Unfortunately, the ones with the window cost $250 more per month, and after the second market fall in October, it became a moot point anyway.

You know what is really a kick in the pants? The experienced Advisors are cleaning up, especially in the wealth market. Newbies like me don't have a big client base to prospect from, and it takes twice the effort to get in front of new clients. I struggled with the original effort, which was about 45 hours per week.

At any rate, it'll be at least another month before I resign completely. As one of the managers said, going non-occ (no office) is the last step before resignations. If I knew I could keep up the pace, I'd stay with this company in a heartbeat.

Moving on.

I have to hurry and get dressed, if I want to get to the hospital. Jim is doing very well in his recovery so far, and I hope it stays that way. I was so worried because of his age!

Have a nice Friday.

10 comments:

  1. When one door closes another one opens, I am sure a new opportunity is around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end of one phase - just gotta wait and see what the next phase brings. Glad your step-dad is doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is always hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you! I hope Jim recovers fast.Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound as if you maintain a good attitude throughout the changes. That will bring good things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes goodbye is a second chance, as the song says...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jesus - that's a plateful to take in all at once. My prayers are with you.
    ben

    ReplyDelete
  8. things will work out, I'm sure. You don't give up easy, so I know how hard this was for you..... {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  9. take a deep breath. And know there are sooooo many people surrounding you and yours (seen and unseen). Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete