Saturday, December 27, 2008

I'm too old for retail and making New Year's resolutions

Goldstream Provincial Park, Vancouver Island, BC


Today was such a long day. I had another shift at the clothing store, and I was reminded of why I'd like to make this life insurance career work out. Our servers went down around 10:30 am, and from then on we couldn't search our customer database, or accept gift cards or debit cards as payment. Any credit card transaction over $100 had to be called in manually for an authorization code, and lots of the promotions got kicked out of the system.
I was working with the whole management team (two assistants and the store manager) but they are stressed and overworked to begin with, and this made it worse. By the end of the day there was a communication issue between two of them and voices were raised, but eventually things were smoothed over. I was annoyed by the assistant who hovered over me, asking if I needed help. She thought I was moving slower than she and another cashier, but my sales were going out accurately and I didn't have to post void a thing, while the others were pissing off their customers by overcharging and holding up lines.
My customers were all very happy when they left, and that's what mattered to me. Besides, I am fast, and I know because I keyed more transactions, lol.
At the end of the shift, my manager asked me about New Year's resolutions. I don't like them, and don't really make any 'cause I could never keep them. Besides that, everything else changes priority from day to day based on what's up with my family or with work. The house is going to be important this year, I do know that. I want to reno the finished basement and build storage cupboards, change the flooring and make a bit of a workshop for Bill. Have a place to put his tools and our cleaning equipment. I think I'd like to put down a parking pad in the backyard, so that even if we have to wait on a garage, I can get the truck off the street.
Anyone going out on NYE? In a way, I miss dressing up and going out! Finding the perfect, sexy dancing shoes was always fun. Which reminds me! I need to take a pic of my new red shoes. They're hot.

3 comments:

  1. I might see what my Toucan friends are up to. At the very least I'll likely stop at the Toucan on NYE for a beer or two and then go home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much going on here for NYE - we are looking forward to a nice quiet evening - maybe we will rent a movie for a change

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red is an amazing color...I look forward to the photo.

    ReplyDelete