Wednesday, June 17, 2009

relentless



Yesterday as Bill and I were driving through town on errands, he reached across the console to place his hand over my left knee. I leaned slightly left as one hand covered his, but in the back of my mind I was trying to remind myself to keep off my left arm, which is suffering from the same pain as my right shoulder last year.

At this same time two years ago, I truly thought that my frozen shoulder/damaged rotator cuff was from doing visual merchandising all those years that I was in retail management. However, I now realize that the exhaustion, depression, sleep disorders, muscle and joint pain, burning skin, nausea, memory loss and vision disturbances are all caused by years and years of stress and trauma.

I have my own little cycle, in which I have not been able to break free, since 1995 - almost fifteen years! This cycle was responsible for my marriage to Dale. It went kind of like this:

I'm so worried. Why is he drinking so much? Where is the loving husband? I have to leave. He's a good man. I have to save us. I love him. I can afford to live on my own. I feel so sorry for him. I'm stressed! I can fix this. I need him. How can he do that to me? He has a good heart. It'll be okay. He needs me. It'll escalate. I can survive. I can do it. He loves me. I can't go. I haven't tried hard enough, I haven't loved him enough.

At thirty-five, I was preparing for the worst. Jamie and I were going out to eat almost every night, Dale was often passed out on the floor in the living room or on the front lawn. At thirty-six I was responsible for all the driving and transportation because he was losing strength and going blind; there had been trips to Winnipeg and to Vancouver so that he could say good-bye to friends. There were eight hospital stays, some here in my city and some in Calgary. I worked full time and went to the hospital at night. I was exhausted but kept going.

At thirty-seven I had him cremated after his death and thought I'd survive on a small life insurance policy and continue my retail career later on, but there was no life insurance so I kept working. I was stressed out from staff turnover but kept going. By forty I'd met Bill, bought the house, moved a second time, went through a hospitalization for Jamie and desperately needed time off, so I quit my job. I had several hours during the day but more responsibility at home with Em's arrival. Within a few months I'd started studying for my life insurance license, but between the house and the kids I was extremely stressed! But I just kept going. At forty-three I had a bit of a breakdown, got my shit together and kept going.

Now that I am forty-four, I look back and think, why didn't I just do something I used to be so proud of my tenacious nature, but isn't that what put me here? I may have been able to keep going and going for years, but I have hit a wall and this time, there is no going around it.

Tonight I have an appointment for an insurance presentation, which is only the second one in as many months. I hope this means that I can start doing it again. For awhile there, I wondered if I was going to turn into one of those people that just gives up and lives in poverty. I've been angry with myself for several years now, for not leaving Dale, for not buying a house sooner, for not getting help sooner, for thinking I could do it all. People always say "you're so strong" and I remember thinking I had no idea that I could handle as much as I have, but now, whenever I feel a twinge in my arm, or take an ibuprofen, or use a heating pad, I know.

There is only so much a body can take. Know your limitations! Ask for help. You don't have to suffer alone, you don't have to keep going. It's alright to stop and regroup. I wish I had.

19 comments:

  1. Wow that's incredible. You are strong but I agree with you. Sometimes it's nice to just have someone you can actually lean on but it is hard to ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the body mind connection is a powerful one isn't it? Power to harm you and the power to heal you all right there.

    I know this post isn't really about the shoulder but I do have a tip for you having been there with the frozen shoulder pain before.
    Bend at the waist like a rag doll and let your arms gently hang down. Breathe and relax. Dangle, dangle those arms and then ever so gently raise them towards your ears which are hanging down around your knees at this point. Don't force it. Only go as far as is comfortable. Then gently put them back down all the while you are bent over at the waist.
    Do this a few times over a period of days and you will see some improvement in the frozen shoulder pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound a lot like me. I try to do it all. It is important to ask for help. I need to try it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stress is a deadly thing that should be taken seriously. Unfortunately, for most of us it is difficult to get rid of. Laughter I think is the key...for me at least. Kate, you are a better person than I, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill is your future and your future shoulder to lean on. Use as often as required :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I love the photo you have posted above this entry. Secondly: you KNOW not to sleep on your side with the shoulder issue you describe. Right? Third: keep your eyes focused on the future (no need to look back any longer).

    Always forward: never backwards. That's my motto!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whether you realize it or not, that was so inspiring.

    SunTiger is right - Always forward: never backwards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a moving post. I still have such trouble asking for help.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I can relate, but then I also think that I probably don't deserve to feel that way, which is why I don't ask for help. I should be able to do it all on my own, right? The problem for me is who to go to. I hope your shoulder feels better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know..it's tough...what IF's

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the post... and love the photo. Thanks for sharing that with us... it helps to understand we're all going through our own struggles on a daily basis! Also, thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You write so powerfully, Kate. Damned allergy season!

    Thinking warm, positive thoughts for you, my friend. {Hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't be your own harshest critic...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kate -- as always your posts are so breath-taking. You are the epitomy of survivor. Just one think I want you to check out because it sounds very familiar. Maybe check with your doctor about stenosis -- I was diagnosed last year (with a CT Scan). Its ok now and I know what not to do but alarms went off in my head when you mentioned about not leaning on the left arm. I keep mine at bay with regular massage therapy. Expensive but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you everyone! I know that I should let it go (and had a year of therapy to do so) but my body keeps reminding me f how it got this way.

    I am purging as mush as I can so that I don't have it all floating around my head.

    I love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are such a strong woman... to have gone through so much and to continue to go through so much in your life. Listen to your body=)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are such an inspiration! I hope you know that...by the way, where in Canada are you? I would like to discuss life insurance with you! It is something I have been putting off lining up, and feel like I shouldn't any longer...

    ReplyDelete