Tuesday, June 23, 2009

not the momma, update


photographer unknown


I wish I knew who took this photo of the cups. I have a bigger love for coffee than I've ever had, and I am always on the look out for a beautiful mug. These are very vibrant, but I think I want some in that bright summery green.

I couldn't wait for a lunch with Em, so I came home between picking up meds (for her ulcer) and milk and job searching, and sat down with her before she went swimming. I actually said to her that I was worried about our relationship because when I start nagging her, she might think she can't do anything right. I wonder if she thinks it'd be any different if it was her own mom.

When I mentioned the "bond" thing, she said she felt more of a bond with me than her own mom, and when I said it was okay to hate me for awhile (even though I admitted it would still hurt my feelings) she replied, "I don't hate you, but if I do just tell me, and I'll say 'sorry.'"

In the end, I told her that my job was make sure she was a strong, independent woman who could hold a good job and influence those around her by being courteous, helpful and organized. Since so many of her peers will lack that (her friends are always incredulous that Em pays her own way to the movies and for swimming, or that she pays us back if we buy minutes for her phone) she'll have an advantage.

Now if we can just get through the eye-rolling stage, although I am NOT ready for the phone calls or the boys.

15 comments:

  1. I think that went well, as they said at the end of each Made in Canada episode. You both came to an understanding, and that's great, Kate.

    The photog's website: http://www.vhsrt.de/

    His stock photo portfolio: http://www.istockphoto.com/file_search.php?action=file&userID=106198

    I like the orange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That went very well, but I wouldn't expect the eye rolling to stop anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, you're even a great step mom Kate. Sensible kid by the sounds - you guys will make it through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing a great job, Kate. Em probably respects you so much. The eye rolling drives me crazy. My son does it all the time now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! Kudos to you for just sitting down and being straightforward with her. You are amazing... and it sounds like Em is really great too.

    I love hearing people's stories like this where they're just real with their kids... you'd be surprised how rare that is these days (or maybe you wouldn't?).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad this went so well for both of you. Big sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on achieving what you’ve achieved. There’s still time for the electric cattle prod though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great girl! She knows you are helping her become a great woman. Sounds as though she's more grateful than the average 12 y.o. who takes her mother for granted. I'm glad it was a good conversation.

    I'm totally looking forward to going to Vancouver next month and I'm making a point of going to Tim Horton's for coffee and a doughnut!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Doug! I dunno how you find the photographers. I'm usually pretty good at saving a name with the screenshot, but not if their screen name is E45Y, lol.

    Thanks everyone - I felt such relief afterward!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blending a family can/is tough, but you seem to have a good grasp on it. She will look back on this and totally appreciate you when she is older. I've seen it happen in my own world. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to be courteous, helpful and organized. But none of these virtues made me any money. So I became rude, selfish and disorganized and - bingo - now I am rich and famous.

    It is a sick, sick world....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome. Such mother-daughter talks are So-o-o-o-o-o-o important. The eye rolling only lasts for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paul - dang!

    ST - we both feel better these last few days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ackkk I am guilty of being an "eye-roller" some of my online friends say they can even see it. Geesh I just did it again. I know its different when its coming from a tween but it sounds like you have a good mother daughter relationship going right now.

    Lime Green mugs -- doesn't Starbucks carry those?? I tend to lust after the mugs in Starbucks but limit myself to collecting the city mugs -- have them from Bangkok to Sydney and back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad that you had a talk with her and it turned out well... and I love those cups... yes, as you can tell by my blog background color, that green would make them even better...
    Dave

    ReplyDelete