Sunday, October 10, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!


It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada and I have a lot to be thankful for!
My parents are all alive and relatively happy, my oldest is in college and working and Bill and Em are doing well and their respective families are all okay.

Em is coping well with the suicide of her mom, which happened in March this year. Since she's turned 13 (in May) we've really stepped up our expectations in regard to how well she cares for her own possessions, how much she helps us around the house and how willing she is to be open about her friends and aquaintences and she's done pretty good. There have been a few times that we've had heated exchanges, but that is to be expected. Man, the teenage years are hard on everyone!!

Jamie is enjoying college but really needs to get out of retail and FAST. She's been trying to do both because she put off asking for a loan, but after her manager started gunning for her (writing her up for almost anything! She's had to refuse to sign a few complaints because they were completely made up) she's decided to resign and is looking for something more part time and hopefully, with a team that doesn't have an ego based manager. Jamie is a lot like me when I was younger, and having such a strong personality doesn't go over very well with managers like that, lol.

This past week was a lot better in terms of work, and I cried only three times, which is an improvement! One of the problems is that I am very sensitive to other people's pain; this is something I have always had and it got worse after Dale's passing. If someone yells at me or treats me badly I must chalk it up to stress or worry, but I am getting better at ignoring it. Remember Mr Avery from last week? He was in the hospital this past Wednesday and I didn't have to deliver any cylinders, but I was awfully worried knowing how he'd been feeling the week before. I can only hope that he recovers okay, or if he can't, that he goes quickly and without pain.

Okay, I'm off to read a few blogs. Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians!

6 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, kate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving. You have a lot to be thankful for. Glad to hear all is well on the home front.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never lose your sensitivity to other people's pain. You just have to remind yourself that you are helping them and in so you serve a great purpose.

    My wife still cries at times and has been a Nurse/Practicioner for well over 27 years.

    love,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Maggie!

    Dani - it's so true! so many good things this year.

    Thanks senorita!

    Bobby - sometimes I feel it is a curse, but I am so glad that we offer comfort and kindness to all our clients & their families. Thanks! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete