Friday, August 7, 2009

friday full of promise


photo by Eve Parry


It's a foggy Alberta morning, but promises to get warmer as the day goes on. Both Bill and I have the day off today, and the kids are leaving in an hour! *insert happy dance here* Jamie and Emily are leaving for an anime convention, so that leaves us to ourselves for our second wedding anniversary on Sunday. I think we're going out to dinner for that.

Hard to believe we've been married for two years already! We haven't had the easiest time of it financially, but the family seems to thrive anyway. Jamie and Em have become sisters in the truest sense of the word and both have had success in school, although Jamie is struggling to find a good job like the rest of us. All of her post-secondary plans are on hold until she finds a way to fund them, and I hope that I can help her as time goes by.

Speaking of work - I think that I will start something on my own to supplement our income. The mean-spirited manager that I work for approached me yesterday and asked me not to quit, so if she works with me on a schedule I might stay on while I start my own consierge business.

Our community of Seniors has grown so much over the last decade, yet they really struggle to get around. A taxi might cost $30 round trip, or a daughter might not be available to take her mom to get a dress. They want to mail packages but the Senior's Bus only runs on certain days. I think I could help fill that gap, but first I need to look into liability insurance and First Aid & CPR training. Hopefully this will something I can do around any jobs I get in the next few years.

Have a nice weekend!

9 comments:

  1. What a great idea Kate! I think you'd do great. Who knows, you may love it so much and be so successful that you decide to do it full time. *hugs* Happy 2 year anniversary this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. Don't limit yourself to the seniors who often have a very limited income. Many a working parent struggles with day to day stuff that has to be done. Dry cleaning, library books, etc.
    Business people often need things picked up, or purchased like gifts for clients.
    You can find a niche and fill it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite the entrepreneur!! Hope you're well...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kate! I think that's a heck of an idea for self employment.

    You and Bill have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I agree that's good thinking Kate, you are entrepreneurial and clever coming up with ideas like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea Kate. Happy 2nd Anniversary to you and Bill. Time flies :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a fantastic idea!! Good luck with it!!! Happy Anniversary too, I hope you guys have a wonderful celebration!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. During my marriage I would've traded a little of that financial security for some genuine companionship -- you have a good thing, you guys! Congratulations and enjoy the years to come.

    ReplyDelete