Friday, August 14, 2009

august 31, 1997



The last few days have been overshadowed by financial worries and back-to-school planning, so I've been more concerned with a little TV watching and reading than blogging. In the old days I would have come here first, but eventually you worry about it becoming the same old, same old.

The book I've been reading is Andrew Morton's biography of Princess Diana, which was written in 1992, five years before her death. I just adored her and remember crying my eyes out the night she died and while watching the funeral coverage. To be honest, she was the last famous person I ever cried for - there have been some notable losses, but nothing at all like Diana. I had no idea I felt so strongly about her until she died.

Anyway, in between chapters I find myself googling all the scandal surrounding the affairs that they had, the gossip about who might or might not be Harry's biological father, and the theory that Diana and Dodi were murdered by the Powers that be. Fascinating!

I'm not finished doing all the digging yet, but the thing that shocked me the most was the accusation that the Queen herself warned someone in Diana's circle against "the Powers that Be" - and it was worded very much like a threat! I think I'm going to have to re-read that part, lol.

Now I'm off to visit as many people as I can. I hope the week was good to you!

13 comments:

  1. I haven't heard the Queenie theory, but it sounds interesting...and juicy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't have taken you for a conspiracy theorist Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought the Queen or her minions had something to do with the deaths... Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember crying my eyes out when I heard it too, and like you, I didn't realize just how much I cared about her until she was gone.

    *hugs* Hope things start looking up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best conspiracy theories never die. Needless to say the British press loved every possible aspect, no matter how ridiculous. To be fair, Mohammed al-Fayed and his claims that Prince Philip and Prince Charles had ordered the killing of Diana left most people, even the media, shaking their heads.

    Being the cynic I am, I always took a very jaded view of Diana’s ‘sainthood’, considering that she spent most of her time going on yachting or skiing holidays, and nightclubbing. Her famous ‘Look! I shook hands with an AIDS victim!’ and similar well-publicised events had too much a look of PR exercises to me; unlike Mother Theresa, who died at nearly the same time, she certainly wasn’t one to stint herself. Nevertheless I have to admit that the televised funeral, along with the closing down of an entire motorway for the hearse to head for her family home, was pretty powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul Wellstone and Sonny Bono come to mind

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know... the fact that she was due back a day before her accident(and thereby should/would have been with her boys) but instead decided to stay on kinda rubbed me the wrong way, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an interesting theory. Sad loss. Pretty picture of her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting post. Frightening actually. Hoping things in the worry department turn around soon. This is a difficult time for many
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great photo of her! I was so sad when she died, I think we all were. Hope you have a great week and get all your back to school stuff figured out!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember that night so well. Such a loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never thought she was a Saint, either...
    She was well known for being a drama queen and being VERY needy. Borderline Personality Disorder, maybe.
    But still, I really admired her.

    ReplyDelete