Thursday, July 23, 2009

bad managers


painting by Susanne Little


I've been picking up some extra shifts at the clothing store because one of the assistant managers walked off the job on Sunday.

One day after returning from vacation.

You know you hate your job when you last five minutes from coming back! But I can't say that I truly blame her - her manager was relentless (she couldn't do a lot of things right) and the fact that the two of them had a personality conflict didn't help.

This is the same manager that has been dangling that position in front of me since May of 2008, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to be an assistant manager if that title means lots of unpaid overtime and a job that can never be done right. On the other hand, full time work would really help...

Speaking of work, Bill & I have our first eavestough job tonight, for $120. It's a good thing we decided to do this because it looks like Bill hasn't found the position he was hoping for. The first few days were good because he was working with a friendly, helpful guy but yesterday was spent with someone that didn't speak and wouldn't show him how to do anything. Then the dispatch guy had a freak out because one of the experienced guys couldn't fix a Coke machine at McDonald's and they couldn't sell soda. By the end of the day he'd already decided to keep looking for something else.

Anyway, have a nice Thursday! I'm off to see what you all are up to.

11 comments:

  1. Good luck with the job! Know how you feel, worked retail for about 4 years and it was tough. My muscles ache just remembering the long hrs on my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have worked retail but was never expected to work without pay. Managers on the other hand could be a pain. Some good ones and some not so good.
    Great about the eavestrough job. Let's hope smooth sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best to stay as is - nothing worse than a bad manager. Sorry Bill's position isn't working out - maybe next week will be another story. Was like that at Shell you could be paired up with a great guy or a dork - 50/50.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure ain't easy finding the right job - lots of luck to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been in management and now that I'm a "worker bee" it is SO much better. No stress, just do the work and go home. I love the hassle free nature of it all. Good luck to you and Bill, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that Bill is having a tough time with that manager. I pray that your family's luck starts to improve soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so hard out there. You guys deserve a break, I hope you find it very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope this is a relaxing weeekend for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the comment about management... Some people do it well... those who don't mind the stress. I'm not one of those. I took it all personally and carried it home. If you can leave it at work and let it roll off your back then no worries. If you get along with the manager then great...
    Hope all goes well=)
    Big hug!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear that Bill's job is not working out after all, that's too bad! Hope he finds something fabulous and SOON!! Good luck to you too, if you are offered and accept the assistant manager's job! Maybe the company will give you the Manager's job soon and you can change things for the better :)

    Have a great long weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you on the bad manager! Big Aaargh, from this end. Mine is about to drive me crazy. Good luck as you sort out what you're going to do next.

    ReplyDelete