Friday, June 3, 2011

update

Here's a picture of Rogue, the kitten we rescued from the farm six months ago. Although she still suffers from an upper respiratory issue and requires a shot of penicillan every month, she's got it pretty good with us.

Update on the kitties at the farm: My nephew called me Wednesday morning. We'd been waiting for my brother to come home and go back before beginning the clean-up but when Dave got out to the farm with his buddy they decided to go ahead.

They were able to euthanize over 80% of the feral animals, but it came at an emotional cost. Dave is the same age as Jamie and the two kids grew up together; weekends were often spent at the farm and cats have always been one of the draws for the kids. Once the cats got out of control Dave couldn't face going into the house anymore. This past week was so tough on him - not just the act of shooting the cats or burying them, but having to face what had happened to his grandparents and their home.

"I'm a little messed up now," he told me. "There are a few left, but I can't go back."

"I'm so sorry Dave! What you did for Grandma must have taken heroic strength. You saved them, and you saved those kitties from suffering."

"I know. Half the damn things couldn't breathe anymore. Still, what a fucking thing to have to do."

"I'm so sorry. We can't thank you enough. Don't worry about anything else - Bill will look for females on Monday. We're taking a cleaning crew out there."

Yesterday I stopped at Cathy's (she lives on my delivery route) and she's ready to come out with us and clean walls and floors. Today my step-dad and his brother are ripping out carpets and putting in laminate.

Somehow, I have to figure out how to seal the dirt basement. Anyway, things are happening quickly now. My parents sound happy on the phone, and that's a good thing.

7 comments:

  1. My niece gave me her cocker spaniel when she began college and nobody had time to take care of it. The dog was seven years old. At 15, it had the usual problems old dogs develop. I was going to have the vet put her down, but my husband said that was not necessary, and he took her out into the countryside and shot her. My niece was horrified when she learned that. I am positive it was quick and sure and no less humane than the needle. My husband was a marksman, a hunter all his life, and had been the family's designated person always to take care of such things when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I know I would feel the same way. You HAVE to do it but it comes at a great emotional cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad things are looking better. Maybe the worst of it is over. I think I would have to just push on until it was over and then allow myself to collapse. Love you Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Senorita AndalucianaJune 3, 2011 at 12:04 PM

    Glad to hear everything is looking up. Good luck and just remember you did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine doing what they/you had to do. Especially SHOOTING them! I would think they'd use drugs or shots or something. Especially when seeing that cute kitty in the picture and imagining others as cute being shot.... makes me want to cry... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ache just thinking about the needing and the doing. Thank heavens you all have the love and the strength.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awful thing to have to do. I hope someone, anyone, can do the rest or the trouble will just start over again.
    I'm just happy you have the strength to do this, it's the right thing..

    ReplyDelete