Saturday, April 9, 2011

the more things change pt 2


webcam pic, 2003


I've been pretty worried about my weight lately.

In the pic, I was twenty pounds lighter than I am now and had a handle on my hunger. In fact, due to the anorexia I was suffering from at the time, I welcomed the hunger; looked forward to hunger!

Then things normaled out.

Bill arrrived in 2005, Em arrived just two months later. Jamie and I stopped eating Lean Cuisines and started buying beef, chicken & pork. I stocked the once-empty pantry with cookies and muffins for lunches, bought potatoes, rice and cheese for family dinners.

In 2007 I went on Jenny Craig and lost that twenty pounds, but the cost of food was extremely cost prohibitive at $510/month. I quit and slowly gained it back over the next two years.

Last summer I started working at the same company as my husband Bill, as a Customer Service Technician. I look after O2 equipment like concentrators, regulators, and compressed air cylinders. I do homecare deliveries, some administrative work, and oxygen starts for the hospitals.

For the first six months I was so busy that I didn't have time to eat and I was much too tired to cook! Also, we were so poor for so long that even if I had a five dollar bill in my pocket, I was afraid to spend it.

It was easy to lose that twenty pounds.

At this point I am twelve pounds up and last week I vowed to lose at least two pounds but that didn't happen. I'm going to try again this week.

Really!

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'm at the too scared to spend it stage (again). Thank goodness for potatoes and rice, eh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate! You can do this, and in a healthy way..It's so hard with kids and a husband to cook for, I know...I remember those days! I've lost 60 pounds over the last year and a half..you can do it!! Good luck to you..just remember to eat! Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate! After I quit smoking two years ago I gained twenty pounds. I didn't want to change my diet enough to lose it :-) As it happens, I started smoking around Christmas, and now I'm a bit under my target weight, but I've had a nasty cold for over a week which has speeded up the weight loss. I don't recommend my method for losing weight at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! I am trying to lose weight too and it so difficult at times. Especially when you get home and all you want to do is rest and not cook a hot dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I am four pounds down...but I did have to buy bigger pants :(

    ReplyDelete